Thursday, May 17, 2012

Newborn Photography: the good, the bad and the really ugly

When I was pregnant I REALLY wanted to schedule a newborn photo shoot. I wanted sweet pictures like this:




Unfortunately, I could not find a photographer that would also sell the high res files for less than $1000 (which is insane!) and then I delivered early and had a long recovery so I ran out of time (newborn photo shoots are done during the first two weeks when the baby sleeps all the time and is still curled up).

It really bothered me that I didn't have professional pictures of Cian. I wanted to capture his little features before he got too big. So, I decided to take a chance and use one of those photography places at the mall.

This was a HUGE mistake. The pictures were HORRIBLE!!! I cannot understand how a photographer can take a cute little baby and make him look so bad. We actually spent $150 to buy the CD of photos so we have proof at how bad these pictures were. I can laugh at them now, but that day I wanted to cry. I was so miserable at how bad these pictures turned out.

Here are a sampling of the pictures we got. Feel free to laugh at them, they are that bad:

Dear God. What is this? What have they done with my cute little baby? How do you get a baby to look like this??  

What is this? How can this be a good picture???? He looks HORRIBLE!

Cian being strangled by a tie. Awesome.

Finally, Cian looks like himself but the picture IS NOT IN FOCUS!

Why exactly do we have a bright white blanket draped in the middle of this picture?

Not exactly the way I was looking to capture his little features....
Yep, this looks REALLY comfortable!

Cian trying to escape.

Thanks for getting the diaper in the picture. CLASSY!

Luckily, one of my clients recommended a photographer she knew and so I convinced Brian that we needed to try again. I will admit, I used my birthday as leverage since Brian hates getting his picture taken and was less than thrilled at trying this again! It was a risk, since Cian is almost 3 months old he is more awake so the photo shoot could  have gone really bad if fussy Cian showed up. Beth was AMAZING and her photographs are incredible. She was so patient and calming, she waited while Cian ate and was rocked to sleep before putting him into a bunch of different poses.  I am so happy that we finally have some nice photographs of Cian to frame!!!

Look at the difference:

Bad
Good





Can you believe its the same baby in both pictures?????
These pictures were taken only weeks apart.

Bad


Good



Bad
Good

  
Bad

Good



Bad
Good


Bad
Good


Bad

Good


Here are some more pictures that Beth took as well:








Oh my god- this is one of my favorites! Look at our chunkster! His big belly! And how his diaper left a mark on his thigh cause its so tight on his chunky thigh. LOVE IT!!!!

7 comments:

  1. I laughed so hard and so much that my 3rd grade class demanded I put this on the projector so they could see. They agree completely but feel the naked ones are inappropriate (hahahahaha). This is awesomeness. True, magical awesomeness and I am sharing with all my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, he has Brian's looks but your expressions, which is truly hysterical. Cannot stop laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your post. Love the pictures. The good ones are FABULOUS.

    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the mention and kind words, Sarah! You and your family were great to work with. I am so happy you were pleased with your photos! Little Cian is just adorable...Beth

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a funny post!! Having a bad day and I laughed out loud. Thanks Sarah!! Cian is ridiculously cute BTW. Oh and for a laugh of your own my phone autocorrects his name to Foam. Foam Blair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a funny post!! Having a bad day and I laughed out loud. Thanks Sarah!! Cian is ridiculously cute BTW. Oh and for a laugh of your own my phone autocorrects his name to Foam. Foam Blair.

    ReplyDelete